It is the season for soup! There is just something about eating a hot bowl of soup when the weather starts to grow chilly that makes you feel that all is right with the world. Seriously, I could eat soup every night of the week and not grow tired of it!
In fact, soups are some of my staple, go-to meals during the fasting seasons. (I am an Orthodox Christian, and we fast from meat and dairy several times during the year.) Simple yet filling, my family can’t get enough.
So I thought I would collect 25 of the best vegan soup recipes I could find.
The recipes had to meet the following criterion:
- Vegan–Since we are fasting from meat and dairy, this is a must
- Simple Ingredients–Our family has a very tight grocery budget, so I can’t go out and buy pricey ingredients for one meal.
- No Fake Ingredients–In our family we try not to do a lot of substitutes for meat and dairy (fake cheese, fake meat, etc.). This is a personal decision and other Orthodox Christians may feel comfortable using those ingredients, but I wanted to find recipes that followed our family’s preference.
- Simple to Make–I am a work outside the home mom who has a very full schedule, so I don’t have time to spend hours making a meal. Enough said! 🙂
Here, then are:
15 Amazing Vegan Soup Recipes
1. Crowd Pleasing Vegan Butternut Squash Soup from The Orthodox Mama
This is my take on the classic butternut squash soup. Simple and oh, so tasty!
2. Creamy Vegetable Potato Leek Soup from Vegan Huggs
I follow the author’s suggestion of substituting a cup of vegetable broth for the coconut milk, and it is delicious. A 30 minute meal.
3. Quinoa Chili from Cooking Classy
The quinoa adds a nice heartiness to this vegan chili. Just leave out the cheese and sour cream, and it still tastes great.
4. Italian Orzo Spinach Soup from Gimme Some Oven
I just love the spinach in this soup! Such a great flavor.
5. The Best Vegan Tortilla Soup from Running on Real Food
I’d been on the lookout for a good tortilla soup for a LONG time. This one is seriously the best one out there! Serve it with some extra cilantro and avocados.
6. Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup from Cookie + Kate
Lentils are such a great way to pack some protein in during the fast. This recipe is tasty and filling.
7. Vegan Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup from Emilie Eats
I am all about using a slow cooker to save time! Plus, I’ve loved black bean soup ever since I had it while studying abroad in Costa Rica. So tasty and healthy.
8. Easy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup from A Virtual Vegan
Nothing says comfort food to me like tomato soup. If you are looking for a simple, tasty option, try this recipe.
9. Hearty Tuscan Soup Recipe from Pickled Plum
Cannellini beans, pasta, and canned fire-roasted tomatoes add a little extra taste to this spin on a classic vegetable soup. A one-pot dish.
10. Vegan Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker from The Orthodox Mama
One of my go-to meals in the winter. I just chop up the ingredients the night before, dump them into the crock pot in the morning, and let the magic happen while I’m away at work. So good!
11. Killer Vegan Chili from Full of Beans
Every cook needs a good chili recipe in their back pocket, and here is a simple one. A classic chili taste without the meat.
12. Mushroom Barley Soup from Real Simple
I’m a big fan of barley–it’s so hearty and filling. The combination of barley and mushrooms is fantastic!
13. Ridiculously Creamy Broccoli Soup from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
Cashews make this a super creamy soup. Who knew?!
14. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili from Eating Well
Sweet potatoes and black beans make a delicious pairing. This may become your family’s new favorite way to do chili!
15. West African Peanut Soup from Cookie + Kate
I lived and worked in West Africa (Equatorial Guinea) for a summer while I was in college. While there, I fell in love with peanut soup. Very tasty and packed with protein.
What are your favorite vegan soup recipes? If you have one from your blog, feel free to share the link!